Personal Fitness Trainer
The mission of the Personal Fitness Trainer program at Stautzenberger Institute is to provide students with the foundational training in exercise programming, interpersonal communication and marketing that is required in commercial, corporate or private personal fitness training environments.
- To provide the graduates with the knowledge, skills and abilities to qualify for Personal Fitness Trainer positions in gyms, fitness centers, private studios, corporate wellness programs, or begin their own Personal Fitness Training business.
- To provide basic instructional information needed to start at the entry level into the Personal Fitness Training profession.
- To obtain an overall understanding of the musculoskeletal system and the integumentary system as it relates to Personal Fitness Training.
- To learn the mechanical concepts and principles that affect human movement and the basic structure and function of the musculoskeletal system.
- To learn the effects of planned stress (e.g., exercise) and recovery (e.g., sleep, massage) on mental health, physical performance and health-related quality of life.
- To obtain a basic understanding of the physiological systems as they are affected by physical exercise.
- To learn a variety of methods of exercise and stress management, including proper nutrition, stretching techniques and body mechanics.
- To develop knowledge and skills needed to assess physical fitness and prescribe exercise for apparently healthy individuals.
- To learn practical skills of fitness training while working with the public.
- To learn the basics of the fitness business as well as starting their own business.
The normal time to complete this program for a full-time student is 15 months.